Look for these new AP programs on your student applications.
Joining the recent additions to the AP course catalog – the two parts of the AP Capstone program and the newly launched AP Computer Science Principles – are several AP-associated programs that may appear on student applications in the fall of 2016. Learn more below about AP + PLTW and AP with WE Service.
AP + PLTW
In 2015, College Board and Project Lead The Way (PLTW) began a five-year program designed to encourage student participation in STEM courses and prepare students for postsecondary college and career success. By leveraging the success of the College Board’s Advanced Placement Program® (AP) and PLTW’s applied learning programs, the AP + PLTW program aims to:
- Increase the number and diversity of students who develop interest in and readiness for STEM degrees and careers
- Provide these students with academic and applied learning courses that prepare them for college and career
- Increase opportunities and recognition for students who demonstrate college and career readiness
Through the partnership, AP courses connect with PLTW programs to create college and career pathways in engineering, biomedical science, and computer science. These pathways emphasize applied learning and consist of:
- Challenging AP courses that provide an opportunity for students to earn college credit
- PLTW introductory and specialization courses that focus on knowledge and skills needed for high-growth careers
Beginning in 2016, students who complete the requirements of their chosen pathway earn the AP + PLTW student recognition, a qualification that shows colleges and employers that the student is ready for advanced coursework and is interested in a career in their chosen discipline.
Students who complete the requirements in one or more of the AP + PLTW pathways will be:
- Academically prepared to pursue college-level studies by having succeeded in rigorous course work, exams, and assessments.
- More likely to major in STEM thanks to their participation and success in the program.
- More prepared for STEM fields after hands-on, real-world problem solving and learning
The AP + PLTW recognition will be awarded to students for the last time in February 2021, recognizing students who earned qualifying scores as of June 30, 2020.
To learn more about the partnership, visit AP + Project Lead The Way on AP Central.
AP with WE Service
Advanced Placement is excited to launch the AP with WE Service program in partnership with educational partner WE. By combining the academic challenge and rigor of Advanced Placement with WE’s education and citizenship model, AP with WE Service creates an opportunity for students to consider how their classroom work applies to the real world, while working closely with their peers to address social issues.
During the 2016-17 pilot year, a self-selected group of teachers who teach one or more of six specific AP courses will implement this program in their classrooms. Our six pilot courses are:
- AP Computer Science A
- AP Environmental Science
- AP European History
- AP Human Geography
- AP Spanish Language and Culture
- AP Studio Art: 2D Design
Approximately 600 teachers and 15,000 students will participate in the program in the coming year.
The AP Program and WE supply a structure, guidance, and resources to our AP teachers. However, teachers and students have latitude, within guidelines, to define what form their service will take. Teachers will spend up to 10 hours of in-class instruction implementing these course-specific modules that contain activities tied to both AP content and service-learning. Students will be expected to perform at least 20 hours of service in teams outside of class.
Schools have the opportunity to indicate on student transcripts whether a student has participated in AP with WE Service. Prospective students may also include their participation on their college applications. The AP with WE Service recognition will be first awarded next summer at the conclusion of the 2016-17 school year.
To learn more about the partnership, visit AP with WE Service on Advances in AP.